From Fear to Fun: My Solo Adventure in Cebu


I just want to start by saying it was supposed to be a trip with my co-workers, but because of Typhoon Gaemi, they were not able to make it to the airport, so I was the only one who went to Cebu. I am used to traveling alone, but this was my first time having a solo trip like this, including all the activities I did. I would love to do it again or have this kind of solo trip. It was super duper fun. Thanks to my aunt (TrekEarth Travel and Tours) for arranging everything for me (us, supposedly). It made my travel easier and less hassle. Of course, thank God, because everything was smooth; He provided everything I needed to get to the airport. And He protected and guided me throughout the travel. I truly felt His presence. Lastly, to all the guides I met, they were all kind and helpful.


Day 1: Moalboal Adventures

The first day of the tour started early at 4 AM when we headed to Moalboal for snorkeling with sea turtles and sardines. It took us about two hours to reach the place. During the snorkeling and swimming with the sea turtles, I did not feel much fear, but when we moved to the sardine area, I got really scared and almost did not let go of the guide who was assisting me. The water was dark and deep, triggering my thalassophobia. Ever since I can remember, I have been scared of dark and deep water. I cannot even look at it in photos, pictures, magazines, or books, nor can I watch any scene with it in movies. I am really scared—I cannot even dip my hands in a black bucket because I am afraid. Despite my fear and not knowing how to swim, the two guides encouraged me to go under the water. At first, I was really scared, but then my fear turned into awe as I prayed to God, praising Him for the beauty of His creation. Even though I couldn't dive deeper due to the pain in my eardrums and my inability to swim, I was still able to see thousands of sardines under the sea. It was a beautiful experience. 




After that, we traveled to Kawasan/Badian for canyoneering. The activity included trekking, swimming, sliding, jumping, and floating. My body and mind were not prepared, and I got scared during the activity. My body is still sore, and I can barely walk properly, but it was super worth it. I would love to do it again and hope next time I can jump and swim. I really enjoyed the activity, even though I was scared the entire time. Thanks to Sir Jaja, my guide, who helped me finish with a big smile and lots of good photos and videos. 




Day 2: City Tour

The second day of the tour was a city tour. I did not join the morning tour; I stayed at the hotel to sleep longer and attend an online Sabbath service. I only joined the afternoon tour, which was more about sightseeing, visiting places I've seen before like the Magellan's cross and the shrine.


Day 3: Oslob Whale Shark Encounter


On the last day of my tour, we woke up super early at 2 AM to go to Oslob. We needed to be early because many tourists go there to swim with the whale sharks. I read some bad comments about this, but I saw how they managed the activity and felt they still cared for the whale sharks, not just money. At first, I was scared, especially when the sharks were so near me. I grabbed the guide and did not let him go, but he was kind and patient, convincing me to try and assuring me they were safe. He was right; they are big yet cute animals. I tried to swim with them and had amazing videos. Only 30 minutes were given so other tourists could also experience swimming with the whale sharks. After that, we went to an island where we swam. Having been to El Nido, this did not excite me much. It was just like other beaches in the Philippines with white sand. Then we visited two old Catholic churches before heading back to the city. No time to eat during the trip, so I ate after we returned. It was very tiring but another unforgettable and fun experience.


Reflections

This solo trip forced me to face my fears and, little by little, overcome them. I realized that I can go beyond what I usually do. Also, I realized how we, as humans, can be the most dangerous among God's creations. We satisfy our taste buds by killing animals for meat. We satisfy our happiness by disturbing animals like turtles, whales, and other sea creatures. We satisfy our needs by destroying the habitats of animals. We blame them when there are viruses, and we blame nature when there are calamities, yet it is us who cause these bad things. We are killing the animals, destroying nature, and our world. It's not the lions, bears, or sharks, nor the forces of nature, that are the most dangerous; it's us humans who pose the greatest threat.




Anyway, I am looking forward to another solo trip like this. Maybe not swimming with the turtles and whale sharks anymore, but canyoneering? Yeah, 100%! And hopefully, by that time, I will be able to swim and will have the courage to jump.



By Ruchel Gagarin Oasan (歐善璐)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Online Diary

Discovering Japan: A Journey of History, Friendship, and Gratitude